Every year, about 35.5 million people around the United States move. You may start thinking about ways to remove your junk before you start the process. The good news is that you can take steps to make everything go more smoothly when planning and going through a move. Experts in moving services recommend the following six tips:
- Get yourself organized. Many people find the idea of making a move to be overwhelming but it does not have to be. If you start early, remove your junk before you pack the items you are going to take, make to-do lists, and make a plan of action, you can make the process easier and less stressful. When you move you have more to think about than just moving your stuff. You need to get utilities opened at your new home and closed at the one you are leaving.
- Talk to a few moving companies. Before you pick a moving company, you should take some time to talk to a few. A good number of movers to talk to is three. Then you can get a sense of what it will cost to get your belongings from one home to another. Keep in mind, the moving company that charges the least may not be your best option. If you have a lot of stuff you are going to get rid of, you should also talk to companies and charities that can help remove your junk.
- Scan important documents. Most people have important documents that they need to get from point A to point B. One way to make sure you gave the outcome you want is to scan these documents into your computer and then saving them on either the cloud or a USB drive. This is the safest way to keep them secure is to make electronic copies.
- Make a plan to pack the things you want to keep. Packing may not be the most fun thing in the world but it can be easier if you do not try to do it all at once. Moving experts say that if you start between two to three weeks in advance of your move date, you can get it all done and be smart about how you do things. You should take the time to label all of your boxes. You can also do yourself a favor by making a list of everything that is in each box. Put one copy in the box and another with you. Properly labeling the boxes can also help you a lot in the long run. Most people move with a number of boxes that look the same so this can make a big difference when you go to unpack.
- Do what you can for Fluffy and Fido. If you have pets, you need to make sure they are safe and sound while going from your old to your new place. If you are moving across town that may not be a big deal. If you are moving across the country, you need to make plans. If you are driving, you may want to look into having your pet fly. You should check with airlines if you are flying. There are different rules for each airline. If your pet is really an emotional support animal, you need the proper documentation for that.
- Look into bringing cleaning professionals. If you are renting your current home, having someone else take care of cleaning it out will do a few things for you. In the first place, you will have less to worry about. In the second place, you will have a better chance of getting back your security deposit if you have had the place cleaned by professionals. You may also want to have your new place cleaned by professionals before you get there. That depends on the kind of home you are moving to and the circumstances.
Psychologists list moving as one of the most stressful things people go through in their lives. The good news is that you can take steps to make your move go better. From getting people to help remove your junk to making a plan, your move can go smoothly and cause fewer headaches.